Popular Tomato Varieties
Several tomatoes have been rated for flavor. Here are a few varieties that are consistently voted winners:
- 'Brandywine' - Red
- 'Brandywine OTV' - Big, red, and juicy
- 'Caspian Pink' - Beefsteak-type tomato with pinkish red fruit
- 'Constoluto Genovese' - Red ribbed fruit
- 'Hillbilly' - Yellow and red streaked fruit
- 'Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter' - Pinkish red fruit
- 'Arkansas Traveler' - Good for hot-weather
- 'Carmello' - FVNT hybrid
- 'Celebrity' - VFFTNA hybrid
- 'Early Girl' - VFF, early and dependable
- 'Stupice' - Good for the Northwest, where fruit set is a problem
- 'Cherokee Purple' - Large pink-purple fruit
- 'Garden Peach' - Small yellow fruit, slightly fuzzy skin
- 'Jaune Flamee' - Small deep orange fruit
- 'Lemon Boy' - VFN hybrid with mild yellow fruit
- 'Paul Robeson' - Midsize dusky dark red fruit
- 'Amish Paste' - Medium-large red
- 'Margherita' - VF hybrid
- 'Speckled Roman' - Meaty, striped yellow and orange fruit
- cherry and Grape Tomatoes
- 'Sungold' - FT hybrid with yellow fruit
- 'Isis Candy' - Marbled red-orange fruit
- 'Matt's Wild Cherry' - Early red cherry / grape
- 'Super Sweet 100' - VF hybrid
- 'Cupid' - Fast hybrid red grape
Recent studies have shown that tomatoes are high in vitamins A and C, but more importantly they are high in lycopene. Lycopene is what is responsible for producing the red color, and some studies have shown that lycopene in tomatoes is linked with a decreased risk of cancer.
Since then, plant breeders have been working to produce a tomato that has high amounts lycopene with its cancer-fighting antioxidant, but also keeps a good, flavorful tomato taste. Not always so easy to do.
Apparently Jay Scott, Ph.D., of the University of Florida has developed a tomato variety called 'Flora-Lee,' which contains 25 percent more lycopene than regular cultivars, and is resistant to tomato diseases, and most importantly, it still has a good tomato flavor.
Dr. Scott says the seed for 'Flora-Lee' should be available by the end of 2007. This will be interesting to try out and see if what is said about the new variety is true.